Friday, May 14, 2010

Recipe #6: Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry

Hello there ladies and gents!  I just made this about 15 minutes ago and it is honestly the best stir fry I have ever made.  I could eat it for ever, I swear.  I'm really excited about it, so I figured it was blog time.  The recipe is a bit complicated.  Comment if you need clarification on anything.  Happy cooking!


Ingredients:
2 boneless chicken breasts, thawed
1/2 teaspoon ginger (I used a ginger paste that you find in a glass container; you can use whatever ginger you have)
1 bag of frozen broccoli OR 1 full head of broccoli, cut into small pieces (I cut each floret into 2-3 slices)
1 julienned carrot (I didn't use this but I would've if I had any carrots)
2 cups and 1/4 cup of water, separated
2 tablespoons of poultry seasoning
3 tablespoons of soy sauce (I used reduced-salt organic tamari sauce)
crushed red pepper flakes
vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of rice


Preparation: Cut up the chicken breast into evenly-sized pieces.  Take a small coffee cup or dish and mix the corn starch and 1/4 cup of water until it's free of lumps.  Put 4 cups of water and a bit of salt on the stove for your rice and get it boiling.  Get a large mixing bowl and have it ready.


Cooking:
Once the water for the rice is boiling, cover and cook the rice for 20 minutes.  Make sure you stir it every few minutes so it doesn't stick.
Put some veggie oil and ginger in a wok.  Once the oil is hot (it'll look like it's bubbling around the ginger), sautee the chicken until you can't see pink.  Put it in the large mixing bowl.  Add a little more veggie oil, broccoli, and carrot.  Sautee those up until the broccoli turns a dark green, and then put that in the bowl with the chicken.
In the same wok, pour the 2 cups water, poultry seasoning, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.  Once you bring that to a boil, add the chicken, broccoli, and corn starch/water mixture from earlier.  Cook that about 10 minutes until the sauce boils again and the chicken is fully cooked.  Put some rice in a bowl and then just scoop this fantastic stir fry on top of it.




The best part about this entire recipe is the taste of the ginger against the crushed red pepper.  The ginger gives it a sweet, rich taste, while the red pepper adds a dark, roasted, spicy contrast.  It's fantastic.  Like I said, I honestly could eat this stir fry every meal of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment