Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Recipe #4: Omelet Fit for a Queen

Hey ladies and gents!  As my best friends in the entire universe know, my favorite meal in the entire world to cook is breakfast.  My pancakes and french toast are nothing to brag about, but my scrambled eggs are almost legendary.  Scrambled eggs were always a weekend staple when I grew up.  Like a lot of things I learned how to make the perfect scrambled egg as I grew up.  But that one thing I could never really get was omelets.  First off, I'm not particularly patient.  Second off, I never figured out how to flip them right.  Third off, they always broke on me.  Something was always wrong.  I've been working the past few years on my omelet-making skills.  They've markedly improved, so I figured I would share an omelet recipe with you!

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
1 egg, 3 egg whites
2-3 tablespoons of milk
3 slices of deli ham, shredded
1/4 cup broccoli
1/4 cup spinach
vegetable oil and butter
your favorite cheese


Preparation: Crack your eggs in a bowl [Like I said, I used 1 full egg and 3 egg whites for health reasons; you could use 3 full eggs instead].  Add 2-3 tablespoons of milk.  Mix with a fork until the consistency is even.  Keep that to the side.

Process:
Turn your burner up to medium (about halfway up the warmth scale).  Put a little pad of butter (like however much you would put on an ear of corn) in the pan.  Once that has melted, put in the veggies and meat.  Cook those for about 3-5 minutes until they're done.  Add no more than a teaspoon of vegetable oil, then add the egg mixture from before.  Turn the heat down to low (3/10).
Here comes the part that needs practicing, so don't feel bad if you don't get it the first few times you try.  You want to swish all of the egg juice around the outside to build up a wall against the frying pan.  Then, once that gets cooked, peel it back with a spatula and tilt the pan so the extra egg juice gets into the little pocket you're making for it.  Once there's barely any egg juice left, try to get your spatula under the omelet, just to make sure it hasn't stuck to the bottom of the pan.
After the omelet was totally cooked, put however much of what kind of cheese you love.  I used 2.5 slices of American on my version, but I have used mozzarella as well.  As soon as the cheese melts, you can fold the omelet and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment